Monday, June 27, 2011

I've got a perfect body; though sometimes I can forget it

Think about all of the things you go without acknowledging on a day-to-day basis; for me, this can sometimes include the love of family and friends, the great community I live in and the talents and interests I'm blessed with. It sounds like a load of cheesy crap, but it's true. After you feel all warm and fuzzy for realizing just how lucky you are, you wonder why you were even upset or unsatisfied to begin with. It seems like getting all worked up when so many people have it so much worse makes a mockery both of yourself and of your problems.

To tell the truth though, knowing what you're blessed with and what weighs you down doesn't matter, because in that moment you're hurting and everything sucks. There's this passage in The Perks of Being a Wallflower that I think says it best:

And even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have. Good and bad. Just like what my sister said when I had been in the hospital for a while. She said that she was really worried about going to college, and considering what I was going through, she felt really dumb about it. But I don't know why she would feel dumb. I'd be worried, too. And really, I don't think I have it any better or worse than she does. I don't know. It's just different. Maybe it's good to put things in perspective, but sometimes, I think that the only perspective is to really be there. Like Sam said. Because it's okay to feel things. And be who you are about them.

I think the last part of the passage is the most important: it's okay to feel things, and be who you are about them. Consequentially, it's also what I have the most trouble with. I can be completely upset with a situation one day and the next know that everything will be okay. I wish I could carry around that feeling all the time, but it just doesn't happen that way, and I guess that's okay too. I don't know. I don't understand how I can flip so dramatically from day-to-day, but I guess feeling constant about something is just a process that takes time, just like anything else. I tend to talk to friends about problems, and though I wish I could deal with them on my own, this is the only way that seems to help. And that's okay.

1 comment:

  1. I've got a perfect body, because my eyelashes catch my sweat ;}
    I love the reference. And sometimes the only other perspective you need is the one that assures you you're okay and you don't have to be superwoman (althoughyoukindofalreadyare).

    ReplyDelete